SPECIAL SICILIAN RECIPE
Typically from Sicily, Caponata, a stir-fried mixture of aubergines, cherry tomatoes and other vegetables cooked in exquisite Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, is a great delicacy to serve on crostini (roasted bread) as an aperitif, as a starter, or to accompany as a side dish with meat and fish. Great for any season you’ll be sure to enjoy this savory easy-to-prepare speciality from the sunny southern region of Italy.
INGREDIENTS (4 servings)
500 g organic aubergines
150 g organic cherry tomatoes
100 g organic onions
100 g organic celery
4 tablespoons organic tomato puree
80 g organic green olives
1 tablespoon organic capers
Organic Italian Extra-virgin Olive Oil
1 large tablespoon organic sugar
2 tablespoons organic white wine vinegar
50 g organic pine nuts
• First of all, clean the vegetables, cut the aubergines, celery and cherry tomatoes into small cubes.
• In a large pan, fry the aubergines in plenty of oil for 3 – 4 minutes, just enough time until they are golden
brown. Drain well and set aside.
• In a large pan, add the very finely chopped onion together with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Fry
for 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree, leave to flavor for 1 minute, add the diced celery, then add the
previously pitted olives, capers, and cherry tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes over low heat.
• Finally add the fried aubergines: A handful of basil. let it cook for 2 minutes.
• Finally, add the spoonful of sugar and the vinegar, bring to a boil over high heat, complete with the
addition of salt and, if necessary, the pine nuts, previously toasted in the pan, and cook for 9/10 minutes
ENJOY SERVED WITH WARM CROSTINI BREAD OR AS A SIDE DISH WITH SICILIAN ORGANIC WHITE WINE!!